Tuesday, September 9, 2008

From the Anvil's Edge


Click on the images for a close-up view.



Here is an example of some of the forge work I've done. This is a fireplace set that I made a few years ago for my wife. They are a reproduction set based on 18th c. patterns, and consist of a flesh fork, spatula and a ladle. It took about a week to do all of the forge work and then they were coated with cooking oil and baked in a slow oven for a few hours to season them and prevent them from rusting.



This is a detail shot showing the tangs of the handles and the hand rivetting.



This is a detail shot showing the working of the eyes on the handles. You can also see some of the decoration on the handles if you look closely.

4 comments:

  1. That's a real masterpiece, great work Jim!

    Ulf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ulf! I don't get to do forge work very often these days, but I really enjoy it when I get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again Bethany! I appreciate it! :-)

    ReplyDelete